Paths of Perfection
The Yoga of Sacred Activism
The Sanskrit word yoga means “yoking together” or “union.” The ultimate goal of yoga is samadhi (non-duality) and moksha (liberation). At the Valley of Light community, each Member’s personal liberation is a primary goal. But like Mahatma Gandhi, we believe that true enlightenment is achieved only through sarvodaya, which means “sacred service for the benefit of All.” These are the five traditional branches of yoga, each of which is a powerful tool to gain self-mastery and spiritual freedom:
These are the five traditional branches of yoga, each of which is a powerful tool to gain self-mastery and spiritual freedom:
|Path of bodily control and sensory detachment
Focus is on the physical body through proper diet, asanas (postures), pranayama (breath control), and mudras (ritual gestures)
|Path of the pure and tranquil mind
Focus is on balance through meditation, japa (chanting of mantras), kriyas (advanced meditation), and yama (ethical practices)
|Path of devotion, faith, and the constant remembrance of God
Focus is on love, union, and service to the Divine
|Path of service without expectation or attachment to the results of the work
Focus is on action and selfless work
|Path of wisdom which leads to absolute truth and unobstructed awareness
Focus is on intellect, knowledge, and understanding
Five Paths of Perfection in the Valley of Light
Based on these classic yogic practices, Oracle has created five Paths of Perfection for the Valley of Light community. Like the traditional yogic disciplines, the Paths of Perfection involve physical, mental, and spiritual challenges that assist community members in elevating their body, mind, and spirit. All members select a Path when they join the Valley of Light, and each Path has a course of study and is responsible for certain elements within the community.
- Path of the Peacemaker plans and organizes local to global activist campaigns that help build a Culture of Peace.
- Path of the Scientist keeps our computers and websites working (we love geeks!);
- Path of the Native has primary responsibility for our community gardens grounds and livestock;
- Path of the Artisan builds, maintains, and beautifies the Peace Pentagon and the common areas. This path also includes musicians, performers, and writers who contribute to Oracle Press, our award-winning publishing house.
- Path of the Oracle maintains our indoor and outdoor sacred spaces, and they lead ceremonies and gatherings at Oracle Temple our esoteric church.
If this level of dedication to personal growth and sacred service is appealing to you, please read our New Member Profile to determine if you are a good fit for the Valley of Light!
For more information about the Valley of Light community, please contact: