Peace Pentagon Internship Programs
We are seeking college-age interns to help build a “Center for Progressive Activism” at the Peace Pentagon. Interns will be part of a dedicated team of community organizers, and they will work under the supervision of Rev. Laura George, J.D., Executive Director of The Oracle Institute, and Eric Stetson, Chair of the Grayson County Democratic Party. The ideal candidate is a philosophy, sociology, political science, religion, media arts, business, or pre-law major with strong communication and writing skills, a working knowledge of social media and basic computer applications, and a keen interest in current events and cultural trends.
Assignments and Activities
Interns will receive first-hand experience working in a rural, culturally-conservative, Appalachian region of the United States. Interns also will receive free housing at the Oracle Campus and have the opportunity to experience life at a micro-community dedicated to progressive, pluralistic, and peace-centered values.
Internship Overview and Areas of Inquiry:
- Study the social and economic factors that led to the rise of Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, and anti-establishment movements around the world.
- Brainstorm on how to make government work for “We the People.”
- Learn about conditions of life and communities in Appalachia, Virginia.
- Receive training in effective political messaging to engage rural and small-town voters, religious voters, and the working class.
- Canvas neighborhoods to gather data for progressive organizations and causes.
- Interface with local progressive groups and participate in regional activism events.
- Create and implement progressive social strategies at the local, state, national, and international levels.
- Work with Peace Pentagon staff on the HUB website, blogs, social media, and marketing materials.
- Help with Oracle Campus conferences, construction projects, and routine maintenance of the retreat center grounds.
- Kayak the New River and enjoy the local music & culture festivals!
For more information and to receive an Internship Application, contact: